Thursday, November 18, 2010

One of my favorite games!

For the past 2 months, we have been working on catching and throwing skills in P.E. class.  Today we played a game which involved a lot of catching and throwing, and it happens to be one of my all time favorites!  I call this game "Battleship".  I got the idea from pecentral.org.  They call the game "Sink the Ship".  I have made a few  changes to this game.  If you would like to view the details of my throwing unit, please click here.  If you would like to view my catching unit, please click here.

Battleship - video - 3rd grade:  This video shows the Lifeboats (scooters) bringing cannonballs back to their ships.


Battleship - video - 5th grade: This video shows what the players do if their ship SINKS. (If all their bowling pins get knocked down). The "crew" sinks to the bottom of the ocean (the end of the gym), they all do ABC Push-ups, then they come back to their ship, set UP their pins and begin playing again.


Battleship - video - 2nd grade: This game is great for many grade levels. I even taught this to my Fab Five class last year!


Battleship - Video - 2nd grade: In this video, the student are setting UP for another round of the game. I give them 60 seconds to get a ball, set up pins, and choose a new person to ride their lifeboat. The groups who are ready in under 60 seconds earn a squad point (a reward system I use). I always give a TIME LIMIT for students to clean up/set up. This way they move quickly and no time is wasted! 60 seconds is generous.....usually kids can get ready in 30-45 seconds!


5th graders playing:


This team's ship sunk, so they are standing at the bottom of the ocean doing 10 jumping jacks. When they come back they may set their pins up again.

2 comments:

  1. You are the BEST PE teacher I have seen in a LONG LONG TIME!
    I enjoyed observing in your class! Thank you!

    Happy Holidays!
    Annie Paganelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie! I just now noticed your comment....9 months later. LOL. I appreciate it though. :-)

    ReplyDelete